Recovering deleted WhatsApp messages is extremely easy if you regularly backup your chats to Google Drive/iCloud or your local storage (applicable for Android devices only). You just need to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp on your phone, and you are good to go! During the installation the WhatsApp messenger app will automatically ask you to restore chats from a previous backup.
recover older chats in WhatsApp
But there are possibilities that only the latest chats get restored using the above method. If that’s the case, you might try this solution to recover older chats from the backup. Remember this will going to work on the Android devices only:
- If you backup your chats to both Google Drive and local storage, you will need to delete the WhatsApp backup file from the Google Drive. To do this, you just need to open the Google Drive app on your Android, tap on ‘Backups’ and delete the WhatsApp backup file.
- Now connect your Android device to your computer via USB cable
- Open File Explorer on your computer and locate the “WhatsApp” folder on the internal storage or SD card
- Navigate to WhatsApp > Databases and rename msgstore.db.crytp12 to msgstore-latest.db.crytp12
- Rename msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crytp12
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp and when prompted, restore from the backup file.